Kea Island, also known as Tzia, is one of the Cycladic Islands in Greece. It is located close to Athens, making it an ideal destination for a quick getaway. Kea is a hidden gem that is slowly becoming popular among tourists who want to experience the beautiful scenery, beaches, and cultural attractions the island has to offer. In this article, we will explore some of the top things to do in Kea, including the best tourist sites, beaches, restaurants, places to stay, and ferry services to other islands.
Tourist Sites in Kea
Kea has a rich history, and this is evident in its numerous archaeological and cultural sites. Some of the top tourist sites to visit in Kea include:
- Lion of Kea: This is a large stone sculpture that dates back to the 6th century BC. The Lion of Kea is a fascinating piece of art that is worth a visit.
- Monastery of Panagia Kastriani: This is an important religious site in Kea that is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The monastery is located on a hill overlooking the sea and provides a breathtaking view of the surrounding landscape.
- Archaeological Museum of Kea: This museum houses a collection of artifacts from various archaeological sites on the island. Visitors can learn about the history and culture of Kea through the exhibits on display.
- Ancient Karthea: This is an archaeological site located on the eastern coast of Kea. It was an important center of trade and culture during the ancient times and has ruins of temples, baths, and other structures.
Best Beaches in Kea
Kea is known for its stunning beaches that offer visitors a chance to relax and soak up the sun. Here are some of the best beaches in Kea:
- Koundouros Beach: This is one of the most popular beaches in Kea, located on the southern part of the island. It has crystal clear waters and golden sand, making it a perfect spot for swimming and sunbathing.
- Pisses Beach: This beach is located on the eastern side of Kea, and it is known for its calm and peaceful atmosphere. It is an ideal spot for families with children, as the waters are shallow and safe.
- Otzias Beach: This beach is located on the northern part of Kea, and it is a favorite among locals. It has a long stretch of sand and crystal clear waters, making it a great place for swimming and snorkeling.
- Spathi Beach: This is one of the most beautiful beaches in Kea, located on the eastern side of the island. It is a secluded beach with clear blue waters and white sand, making it an ideal spot for those who want to escape the crowds.
Best Restaurants in Kea
Kea has a vibrant food scene, with numerous restaurants that serve delicious Greek cuisine. Here are some of the best restaurants to visit in Kea:
To Steki Tou Proedrou: This is a traditional Greek restaurant that serves homemade dishes using fresh local ingredients. It is located in the village of Vourkari and has a cozy atmosphere.
Taverna Vourkari: This restaurant is located in the port of Vourkari and offers stunning views of the sea. It serves fresh seafood dishes and traditional Greek cuisine.
To Kima Restaurant: This is a family-owned restaurant located in the village of Ioulida. It has a warm and welcoming atmosphere and serves a variety of dishes, including vegetarian options.
En Plo Restaurant: This restaurant is located in the port of Korissia and offers a wide selection of fresh seafood dishes, including grilled octopus, calamari, and shrimp. It has a lovely outdoor seating area overlooking the sea.
Best Places to Stay in Kea
Kea offers a range of accommodation options for visitors, from budget-friendly hotels to luxurious villas. Here are some of the best places to stay in Kea:
Kea Village: This is a charming hotel located in the heart of Ioulida, the capital of Kea. It has comfortable rooms with traditional Greek decor and a lovely courtyard.
Porto Kea Suites: This is a luxury hotel located in the port of Korissia. It offers spacious suites with stunning sea views, a swimming pool, and a restaurant serving delicious Mediterranean cuisine.
The Aigis Suites: This is a boutique hotel located on a hilltop overlooking the sea. It has elegant suites with private balconies, a spa, and a restaurant serving gourmet cuisine.
Kea Island Luxury Villa: This is a stunning villa located in the village of Katoikies. It offers luxurious amenities, including a private swimming pool, a jacuzzi, and a barbecue area.
Ferry Services to Other Islands
Kea is well connected to other islands in the Cyclades, making it easy for visitors to explore the region. Here are some of the ferry services available from Kea:
Kea to Kythnos: There are regular ferry services from Kea to Kythnos, a neighboring island known for its hot springs and beautiful beaches.
Kea to Syros: Syros is the capital of the Cyclades, and it is known for its vibrant culture and impressive architecture. There are regular ferry services from Kea to Syros.
Kea to Serifos: Serifos is a small island known for its stunning beaches and traditional Cycladic architecture. There are regular ferry services from Kea to Serifos.
Kea to Andros: Andros is a large island known for its natural beauty and rich history. There are regular ferry services from Kea to Andros.
Kea to Mykonos: Mykonos is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Greece, known for its lively nightlife and stunning beaches. There are regular ferry services from Kea to Mykonos.
Kea Island is a hidden gem in the Cyclades that offers visitors a chance to experience the beauty and culture of Greece. From the stunning beaches and ancient ruins to the delicious food and luxurious accommodation options, Kea has something for everyone. Visitors can also explore the region by taking advantage of the regular ferry services to other islands in the Cyclades. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing beach holiday or an adventure-filled trip, Kea is a destination that should not be missed.